Tuesday, January 28, 2014

A little light in a confusing time

The discussion of evolution often creeps into the conversation when I am asked about my religion. And my friend found some very pertinent quotes from church leaders that I hope to memorize and have on hand for just such occasions.

"Animals seem pretty wonderful to me. I'd be content to discover that I share a common heritage with them..." -Henry Eyring, 1969
"The opening chapters of Genesis, and scriptures related thereto, were never intended as a textbook of geology, archaeology, earth-science or man-science... We do not show reverence for the scriptures when we misapply them through faulty interpretation." -James E. Talmage, 1931
"Our mission is to bear the message of the restored gospel to the world. Leave geology, biology, archaeology, and anthropology, no one of which has to do with the salvation of the souls of mankind, to scientific research..." -Heber J. Grant, 1931
 
Sometimes my answers to some questions are that I simply don't know enough about the subject to allow myself to explore anything but what the church teaches. I do not allow myself to deeply study certain things in any other capacity or from any other source other than the church until I have a firmer grasp on the subject. Then I feel comfortable exploring outside sources. This is one of those subjects that I would like to learn more about and study, but I will have to first explore the literature from the church before expanding to other sources. This has been a good start.  

No comments:

Post a Comment