Tuesday, April 13, 2010

If we were meant to pop out of bed, we'd all sleep in toasters!


Today is a new day! Worse than yesterday already and it's only noon! But, I am going to set some new goals to take my mind off this, hopefully.

I have been blessed with an infant that sleeps very well. So I am going to set some "sleep goals." This comes from the booklet "In the Pursuit of Excellent Temple Maintenance" which goes hand in hand with "In the Pursuit of Excellence." This is a program established by the Relief Society program in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints where woman can set goals for themselves to improve their own lives and that of their families.



Miss Miriam sleeps from about 10 pm to 10 am. She wakes up to eat at 5 am and 8 am. So we have been sleeping pretty well. I have fallen into a habbit of turning on "Mickey Mouse Clubhouse" for my three year in the mornings to watch until we are all ready to wake up at 10 am. In doing this I have been sleeping more than is necessary and the house work has been piling up on me! If I get up after her 8 am nursing, I have two hours to catch up on housework and spend some quality one on one time with my three year old. SO here are the goals that "In the Pursuit of Excellent Temple Maintenance" suggests;

1) Have a regular bed and wake up time with sufficient hours of sleep time. Try not to vary the hours even on the weekends.

My bed time goal will be 10:30 pm with a wake up time of 8 am. (I realize this is still a lot of sleep time, but keep in mind that once in or twice in there I am awake for an hour or so with an infant).

2) Get enough sleep for your age, and try to stay on a regular schedule.
3) Take power naps daily as needed.
4) Establish a bedtime ritual that is relaxing.

I have started reading scriptures before bed. I like to do that and watch a TV show before bed.

5) Make up your bed daily.

Ooooo. This one will be difficult. We spend lots of time in my bed throughout the day. It's where I feed Miriam and where Joshua watches his TV shows. So I don't even bother because it turns into a big mess anyway. But, I am going to give it a try!

6) Launder your sheets weekly for better health and better sleep.

Interesting. I didn't know it could help you sleep better. Anyway, this one shouldn't be a problem. I like clean sheets!

The scripture that accompanies this is Doctrine and Covenants 88:124- "Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean;. . . cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and minds may be invigorated."

I am hoping that this will help me feel a little less frazzled throughout the day. Having two children can make even the most organized person feel frazzled and overwhelmed. That's real life. . . in Laymon's Terms.

2 comments:

  1. Progress report:

    1) Stuck to my sleeping times, except for today. I woke up at 6 am instead of 8 am.

    2)Even though I woke up at 6 am instead of 8 I still got 7 and a half hours of sleep because Miss Miriam slept until 6!!!

    3)Got in a few power naps this week. They make a huge difference!

    4) Did my bed time routine for the most part. One night I was really excited about something I was making for M. and did that right up until I fell asleep.

    5) I think I made my bed one day this week. I'l have to be better about that next week. I'll shoot for twice ;)

    6) I did wash my sheets twice, but I normally do that. I did feel a little less frazzled this week, but this was a hard week for me with PPD (post-partum)So I think next week I will be able to decided if my goals are making a difference in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Progress Report:

    1) Stuck to my sleeping times except Monday. I woke up at 6am. It was nice. I think since Miriam is sleeping through the night now I might wake up a bit earlier.

    2) I got sufficient hours of sleep. I didn't feel at all this week like I needed a nap. Now, that's not to say I didn't feel completely wiped out after Josh went to bed in the evenings.

    3) No power naps this week at all. I didn't feel I needed them!

    4)I think I did my bed time routine only once this week. Miriam has been going through a growth spurt and was very fussy all evening every night this week (except last night). So that prevented me from doing my typical routine.

    5) I made my bed every day! Yea! It didn't look great some days because I was hurrying. But, I noticed it helped me keep my room cleaner throughout the days.

    6) Yep, washed my sheets twice! But, that could be because Miriam pooped on them. My kids have really been helping me with these goals!! haha.

    I have noticed a difference this week. I have tried to keep my house cleaner because my bedroom looked so nice with the made-up bed. I also was a lot happier because I had sufficient sleep and wasn't spending part of my day wishing my 3 year old still napped. Overall, good week!

    ReplyDelete