Monday, May 17, 2010

Julie and Julia

Last week I went to Disneyland with my family and bought a "Cooking With Mickey" cookbook. I skimmed through it and was inspired by the different ideas. I get so excited every time I buy a cookbook. I mark all the recipes I want to try with a post-it note. But, life gets busy and hectic and I feel like I never have time to cook.

I counted my cookbooks and magazines today: 50+. My new goal is to pick one recipe book a week and try one new recipe from it every day. As I have been trying to pay more attention to myself and my mental and physical health lately, I have rekindled my love for cooking. I have found it very enjoyable, relaxing and satisfying!

My recipe choices for this week are:

  • Easy Muffins (pancake mix with fresh or frozen berries)
  • Cookies and Cream Brownies
  • Sparkling Raspberry Lemonade
  • Antipasto salad
  • Mexicale Hot taco salad
  • Mayonnaise and Herb Asparagus Dip

I will report each recipe in the comments. I only have six for this week. I may end up only picking five or six each week because, let's be honest, there will be days when things will be beyond my control and I just won't be able to get around to it. That's how it goes. That's life, in Laymon's terms.

3 comments:

  1. Monday May 17, Easy Muffins

    This recipe was very simple. You take your favorite pancake mix, add fresh berries or frozen, line a cupcake pan with cupcake cups, pour the filling in the cups and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

    They turned out well. I wasn't a huge fan of the strawberry flavor with the pancake flavor, but I might try blueberries next time or even semi-sweet chocolate chips.

    Today was an extremely busy day and I really liked that we had extras and could grab them on the go to eat in the car on the way to vaiours places.

    Another thing I liked about it is that they are more like muffins, so my son didn't request syrup. My son's favorite breakfast is waffles or french toast and I was starting to get worried that he might have a little too much syrup in his diet. So the fact that I could tell him these were pancakes and have him be satisfied with that without having syrup is something that is very appealing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookies and Cream Brownies

    Many enthusiastic thumbs up!

    Basically you take brownie mix, prepare it, top with crushed oreo cookies and bake at 350 degrees. After allowing to cool for an hour and a half you top it with a mixture of powdered sugar and milk--about 3/4 cups powdered sugar and two to four tablespoons of milk.

    I didn't have any powdered sugar and I didn't realize it until after I had already made the brownies. So mine didn't have the topping. But, to quote Garren, "Why mess with perfection?" They were still very good. The cream in the oreos melts out on top of the brownies and it is delish!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Antipasto salad.

    Good. I'll make it again. But, I didn't even do what the recipe recommended so I am not going to bother putting up the recipe. And because I just did whatever I wanted, I don't know what the recipe ended up being. . .except gooooood.

    ReplyDelete