Thursday, February 28, 2013

Esther

I had occasion this week in Family Home Evening to teach my children about Esther. Queen Esther faithfully confessed that she was Jewish to the King at the risk of being killed after the King has created a decree that all Jews should be killed. Having been a woman worthy of respect and admiration the King told her that he could never do anything to hurt her. She in turn asked for the lives of her people to be spared. And because of her faith they were spared.

Not only would I like to have this kind of faith, but I want Miriam to as well. And I would like to become the kind of respected woman that if ever faced with situation like Esther, I would be greatly admired and respected enough that I would be able to be heard. So I am going to work on becoming that sort of respectable woman.

When I resolved to do this in my early morning studies today I was immediately reminded of my basic nature. My family is slightly on the goofy and even irreverent side. . . My Grandma Joyce is the greatest lady I've ever known. Very diligent in her study and knowledge of the scriptures, faithful temple worker, etc. But she liked a good joke and story every now and again. We laughed a lot and accepted the fact that we are all human beings. She taught me that I could enjoy my life and enjoy being human while still being a good Mormon. I hope to curb the more irreverent part of my nature which definitely comes from my Grandma Ida, but was loved and accepted by Grandma Joyce ;) I don't want to completely lose my sense of humor, but I hope to have a little more respect for some things that I normally would joke about or find humor in.

So, what are my guidelines for becoming this person? Moroni 7:45

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in truth, beareth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things." 

And the next part I feel I have a firm grasp on. I have devoted a good portion of my life to being as charitable as I am able to be in whatever capacity I am able to be at the time. This was instilled in me in my youth. My youth leaders took me to a place when I was 13 that was extremely uncomfortable for me. It was a nursing home for handicapped people. We got to take all the residents to a meeting hall for church. We sang them primary songs and had a lesson. I went home from that and wept. It was difficult as I had never had experience with mentally handicapped people before. And after that day I felt the importance of service in these people's lives. I felt like I was conveying the Lord's love to them. And they took us there every year in my youth. I gained a true understanding of the importance of charitable work. But you can't just give. It has to be with the intent of sharing the Lord's love. You are serving on behalf of the Lord.

Then after my years in college where the motto was "Learn that Life is Service" something happened to me. Charitable love and service became such a part of my life that I could see need on people's faces. I could feel their emptiness and have it be made known to me what the need was. I think when I decided to devote my life to service and to become leader by being a servant I was blessed with this ability to see need. And I know I can have that same experience with all the other characteristics listed in Moroni 7:45. I know I can make these things as a part of my life as I have made charity.

Most of all, I think they all go hand in hand. I do not think you can endure all things if you do not have hope, if you do not rejoice in truth, if you are easily provoked, puffed up or have envy, etc. I think all of these things must be present and a part of my life for the others to become a part of my person.

"Charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him." Moroni 7:47


No comments:

Post a Comment